This is a Arduino-compatible autopilot board designed by Chris Anderson, Jordi Muñoz and Jani Hirvinen using the new ATMega2560.
ArduPilot is a fully programmable autopilot that requires a GPS module and IMU sensors to create a functioning Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). The autopilot handles both stabilization and navigation, eliminating the need for a separate stabilization system. It also supports a "fly-by-wire" mode that can stabilize an aircraft when flying manually under RC control, making it easier and safer to fly. The hardware and software are all open source. The board comes with all the surface-mount parts already soldered, but requires the user to solder on connectors. Firmware is already loaded, but the autopilot software must be dow nloaded and loaded onto the board by the user. It can be programmed with the Arduino IDE. All details and instructions can be found at the project's home page.
* Designed to be used with autonomous aircraft, quadcopters and helis
* Based on a 16MHz Atmega2560 processor.
* Built-in hardware failsafe that uses a separate circuit (multiplexer chip and ATMega328 processor) to transfer control from the RC system to the autopilot and back again.
* Includes ability to reboot the main processor in mid-flight
* Dual-processor design with 32 MIPS of onboard power
* Supports 3D waypoints and mission commands (limited only by memory--approximately 600-700 waypoints with current code, but can be adapted for more)
* 256k Flash Program Memory, 8K SRAM, 4K EEPROM
* Comes with a 6-pin GPS connector (EM406 style).
* Has 16 spare analog inputs (with ADC on each) and 40 digital input/outputs to add additional sensors
* Four dedicated serial ports for two-way telemetry (using optional XBee modules) and expansion
* Can be powered by either the RC receiver or a separate battery
* Hardware-driven servo control, which means less processor overhead, tighter response and no jitters
* Eight RC channels (including the autopilot on/off channel) can be processed by the autopilot.
* LEDs for power, failsafe status, autopilot status
* Includes 3 x 16 pin RC connector